The Cancer Services Program (CSP) of the North Country works to decrease rates of cancer and cancer mortality among uninsured people living in Jefferson, Lewis, Oswego and St Lawrence County. Our mission is to provide breast, cervical and colorectal cancer screening, diagnostic and case management services for uninsured and underinsured people residing in the St Lawrence County, Jefferson, Lewis and Oswego Counties.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE CANCER SERVICES PROGRAM OF THE NORTH COUNTRY CALL:
Oswego County Opportunities - (315) 592-0830 or visit OCO's website.
Health Initiative (315) 261-4760 Option 2
New York State Cancer Services Program Hotline 1-866-442-2262.
The CSP provides a variety of breast, cervical, and colorectal cancer screening tests. You may be eligible if:
- You are uninsured or underinsured
- You are a woman aged 40 years or older or a man aged 50 years or older
- Live in one of the five counties served by the CSP of the St Lawrence County
NOTE: US citizenship is not required
For eligible women age 40 and older, the CSP offers the following free services:
- Clinical breast exams
- Pelvic exams
- Pap tests and HPV tests
For men and women age 50 and older the CSP offers:
- Free take-home colon cancer screening tests (called FIT Kits)
NOTE: If any of these screenings require follow up diagnostic testing, the CSP will pay for those services as well. Clients receiving diagnostic services will work with a CSP Case Manager to insure they are able to obtain the required follow up care.
Screening and diagnostic services are provided in local hospitals, clinics, health centers and doctors' offices throughout Jefferson, Lewis, Oswego and St. Lawrence Counties through service agreements with the Cancer Services Program of the North Country.
When a client is diagnosed with cancer, CSP staff can assist him or her with applying for the Medicaid Cancer Treatment Program (MCTP), if eligible. MCTP pays for treatment services for breast, cervical, colorectal or prostate cancer or pre-cancerous breast and cervical conditions.
To be eligible for MCTP you must be:
- At least 18 yrs of age or older
- Not covered under any creditable insurance
- In need of treatment for colorectal, prostate, breast, or cervical cancer or pre-cancerous breast and cervical conditions
- Resident of New York State
- US citizen or alien with satisfactory immigration status.
CSP clients who are not eligible for MCTP will be assisted with applying for emergency Medicaid.