Welcome to Creating Heathy Places to Live, Work and Play in St. Lawrence County
Creating Healthy Places to Live, Work and Play in St Lawrence County, is part of a five-year NYS initiative to promote healthy lifestyles and prevent obesity and type 2 diabetes. Funding for Creating Healthy Places is from the New York State Department of Health.
Creating Healthy Places aims to use the Creating Healthy Places grant as a catalyst to a healthier and more vibrant St Lawrence County by
- Increasing availablity of places to be physically active
- Creating community landscapes conducive to physical activity
- Increasing availability of fresh fruits and vegetables
- Increasing the healthful quality of foods offered for sale
The rate of obesity and type 2 diabetes in New York State are immense along with the cost of treating them. In an effort to save money in regard to health care costs and productivity losses, Creating Healthy Places, to Live, Work and Play contractors are working to make it easier to be physically active and to eat healthy foods.
- 8,100 persons in St. Lawrence County have diabetes resulting in a diabetes healthcare cost of $41.8 million
- 29.3% of St. Lawrence County residents are obese (BMI > 30)
- 3rd highest rate of coronary heart disease in New York State
Many great things have been done with Creating Healthy Places funding, ranging from kayaks to community gardens. To see the projects completed with Creating Healthy Places funding, click here!