Health Initiative seeks nominees for the
Mr. Patrick "Bird" Kerr Award and the Walter Lacks Award
All nominations are due September 9, 2016
Mr. Patrick "Bird" Kerr Award
As an employee for the St. Lawrence Seaway Development Corporation, Mr. Patrick "Bird" Kerr was an employee with undeniable charm. He brought smiles and enthusiasm that were incredibly contagious to every room he entered. In addition, "Bird" was very supportive of the Wellness Program at his work as well as in his personal life. He strived to eat healthy, exercise and spread the word of healthy activities occurring throughout the county. Unfortunately, in 2008, Mr. Kerr passed away. In honor of Mr. Kerr, the "Patrick "Bird" Kerr Worksite Wellness Champion Award” has been created.
This honor is presented to an employee who exhibits many of the same wonderful qualities that Mr. Kerr did. In order to be considered for the award, an employee must be nominated by fellow employees, administration, or Health Initiative representatives. The award will be presented each year at the Health Initiative Annual Meeting with a perpetual plaque to be placed at the Health Initiative office.
The employee will exhibit many of these qualities as determined by the Kerr Family, and the Health Initiative:
- An employee who continuously shows support for the Health Initiative
- ... who strives for overall wellness in their personal and professional life
- ... who creates opportunities for other colleagues to become more "well"
- ... who continuously offers suggestions to help the wellness program grow
- ... who provides encouragement to colleagues who participate in programs
- ...who enjoys being outside and being active
- ...who tries their best to improve, who may have to work hard at accomplishing but will persevere
- ...who is always good natured and friendly
- ...who is open to new things, new places
- ...who everyone seems to know!
The Walter Lacks Award
In 2011 the Health Initiative inaugurated the Walter Lacks Award to be given to a St. Lawrence County resident who has demonstrated enthusiasm and commitment to both personal wellness and to increasing wellness in others. The award is named for an amazing community resident, Walter Lacks, who works tirelessly (well into his 90’s) to improve his own health and the health of community members, whether here or across the nation and the globe! We feel that Mr. Lacks embodies the best possible qualities of a true champion for community health and is a role model for all of us to aspire to. This award was created to both honor him and to recognize other individuals in the community who also express these qualities.
Nominations are due by September 9th, 2016 and the award winner will be recognized at the Health Initiative’s Annual Meeting on October 27th, 2016. A perpetual plaque commemorating the award is also placed at the Health Initiative office.